Also known as Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, this plastic often flies under the radar, remaining an unfamiliar material to most businesses and manufacturers. Its unique property is his high density, with a molecular weight of 3.1 million or higher. As a result, this type of polyolefin will not melt or turn into liquid, making it ideal for high-temperature environment.
Strong and versatile, this material offers high abrasion, impact, and wear resistance, while remaining relatively lightweight. It will outlast metal, nylons, and other engineering plastics in applications under constant wear. This type of plastic is thus an ideal material for both commercial and industrial applications, as it offers countless benefits that make it a superior alternative to other types of plastic on the market.
UHMW polyethylene is available virgin and reprocessed; virgin UHMW polyethylene is FDA compliant and can be used in food applications while reprocessed UHMW polyethylene is not FDA compliant and is commonly used in industrial settings.
|Property UHMW||Units||Test Method ISO||Value|
|Tensile strain at break||%||527||x|
|Izod notched impact strength||23 °C||kJ/ m²||180||x|
|Izod notched impact strength||-30 °C||kJ/ m²||180||x|
|Heat deflection temperature (HDT)||1.80mPa||°C||75-2Ae||x|
|Vicat softening temperature||50H/50 °C||°C||306/B50||x|
All above apply to thermoplastics immediately after extrusion, with no aging effect.
- Excellent abrasion resistance
- Great chemical and corrosion resistance
- Easy to fabricate
- Able to add UV package for weatherability
- Retains its physical properties even at low temperatures (-80°C)
- Low maintenance
- Outstanding impact strength
- Extremely low coefficient of friction Self-lubrication
- Extremely tough and durable
- FDA and USDA accepted Low moisture absorption
- Noise resistance
- Gears, Springs, Plates, Bushings, Housings
- Packaging – material handling trays, pallets
- Building & Construction – drainage liners
- Playground slides, ATV fenders
- Docks, paddle boats
- Machinery parts
- Conveyor systems
- Scrapers and slides
- Drainage / Civil Engineering
- Corrugated pipes and related components.
- Chute, hopper, fender and truck bed liners
- Wear strips, parts and guide rails
- Star wheels and idler sprockets
- High speed conveyors
- Food processing machinery parts
- Shipping, handling, and storage industry
- Agriculture, Farm machinery industry
- Building and construction
- Food industry
- Aeration, chemical, and biological treatment industry
- Forestry and mining industry
- Recreation and Leisure
Custom colors available upon request; minimum quantity apply.